11 thoughts on “Reading and Writing Activities

1. Maya Cisneros

While watching One Man’s Journey, I believe Victor Rios is astonishing. He is man who grew up in the streets of Oakland, joined gangs and eventually turned his life around. Within this video I saw change and second chances. Such as a police officer letting Victor go because he believes Victor will turn around. Another example is Victor opening up to a teacher and continuing to go to school. This video has showed me that there are people who do want to change their lives and do the right thing. Victor Rios is one of those heroic individuals, not only did he save his life but he is now trying to save others as well.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi, Maya, thank you for posting your summary and response. While this response meets required criteria, there is room to be more specific and to elaborate if you feel like doing so in a revision. Also, now that you have worked on sentence structure in the last class, please be mindful of this going forward in your work. For example: “…change and second chances, such as…” “Rios is one of those historic individuals; not only did he…” Lastly, because this is a film, be sure to use quotation marks: “One Man’s Journey.” Thank you!

Reply
  2. ahmad wais nejati

In this video Man’s Journey From Gang Member to Academia, Victor Rios was involved in gangs, criminal acts, and was a high school drop out. After his first encounter with a teacher, he eventually pursued a higher education and started helping the youth who were also involved with his own experiences. He now teaches at a high school, has a family, and brings hope to gang members who can change their life around. This video inspires me to keep pursuing my dreams in a higher education because I really want to change my life and help others in some way.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi, Ahmad, thank you for your summary and response. I’m glad the film was inspiring to your dreams! Bravo!
      Something to note: when stating a film, use quotation marks to present it: “One Man’s Journey.” Thank you.

Reply
  3. Halonna Gilbert

After watching Victor Rios’ Journey I believe he is truly admirable. He has overcome the gang violence and poverty that is rattling the streets of Oakland. I’ve always wished that Oakland could be a place people could feel safe and live happily, but sadly that is not always the case. I have witnessed a lot of poverty and gang violence myself which is something that has always turned my stomach. I know it is not easy to rise above system, it is always trying to pin you down and make you believe you’re doomed to fail, but that is not the case. As Rios has stated, there are always second chances and you should run with it. He is a good example of what you can accomplish and can inspire people who are going through similar troubles. Kudos to Rios for giving back and helping the community that we love.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi, Halonna, thank you for your summary and response. I’m glad you were able to have a personal connection to the film, and that you appreciated Rios “helping the community that we love.” Awesome!
      One edit to note: please be as specific as possible when summarizing, and when referencing a film, use quotation marks. For example, opening paragraph: After watching “One Man’s Journey From Gang Member to Academia,” featuring Victor Rios, etc;
      Thank you!

Reply
  4. Noel Burton

In the class video, One Man’s Journey From Gang Member to Academia, Victor Rios was involved in gangs, criminal acts, and was a high school drop out. After his first encounter with a teacher, he eventually pursued a higher education and started helping the youth who were also involved with his own experiences. He now teaches at a high school, has a family, and brings hope to gang members who can change their life around.
    I believe this is a great career for Rios because he can explain his own personal experiences to relate to gang members, and explain how he was able to change his life around. This process can open up the eyes to others who are willing to change. This video inspires me to keep pursuing my dreams in a higher education because I really want to change my life and help others in some way.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Thank you for your summary and response, Noel. I’m glad the video was an inspiration to continue pursuing higher education and to “change your life.” Wow! One edit to note: when referencing a video, please use quotation marks. “One Man’s Journey From Gang Member to Academia.” Thanks!

Reply
  5. SAYEED JAWEED

Victor Rios Journey telling us about a young man who is dropout of high school and gang member with criminal in the past. he is always thinking one day he will end up in prison .at age 12 after he was caught stealing a bike. He’s been in and out of the justice system ever since and remains on probation. when he was two years old he came to the united states with his mother and faced a lot of problems he was dropout from high school because he was poor couldn’t afford it .
    the poverty forced him to joined the neighborhood gang he was stolen cars he had a friend who was also a gang member his name was smiley who got killed by gun violence the death of his friend changed his life because he begun thinking what can happen to him finally he met a teacher who encouraged him for education and he earned his doctorate from university of Berkeley

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi Sayeed, thank you for your posting, and a very descriptive summary! I was wondering what your personal response was to the film; did you have any connections, or personal relevance? Why or why not? Also, I’m going to need you to edit this for punctuation: be sure to begin sentences with capital letters, and periods at end of all sentences. Also, please be as specific as possible in opening sentence. For example: The film, “One Man’s Journey From Gang Member to Academia,” featuring Victor Rios, etc;
      Thank you!

Reply