September 20

For “Inside Out” an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’ The Circuit

Write a reader response to “Inside Out.”  Be sure to follow the standard format.  You should always start like this:

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator … 

Discuss what you think of the narrator’s experience.  What do you empathize with?  Is there a purpose to Jimenez’s telling this particular school narrative?  Is there anything you can relate to and how do you relate?  Feel free to write as much as you like.  Copy your work before you click submit.

Posted September 20, 2016 by tashak38 in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area--Big Up to the East Bay

34 thoughts on “For “Inside Out” an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’ The Circuit

1. Omar kohgadai

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator feels very awkward when going to a new school. He comes from a family that does not prioritize school so he does not have a proper education. I can sympathize with Francisco, because I used to feel the same way,awkward and out of place when put in a new school and surrounded by people i don’t know. When he gets on the bus for the first time he feels annoyed because of how loud and obnoxious it was on the bus. Because of the lack of education there is a language barrier between him and the other students and the teachers, it is difficult to communicate with the the other students and the teachers

Reply
  2. Desirae Velasquez

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator lets the reader know that this is not an ordinary type of class. I can relate to this story with my own experience through out attending middle school, Jacob my big brother would take me an my sister to register for classes for the school year. After the first time around it became a normal thing for us three to register for school. . Our mother an father was not able to attend our school events due to both of them working to make sure all of us was clothed, feed an attending school. With Francisco still learning about the school an kids he found a comfort spot in the school where the caterpillar was. He spoke to his brother about the caterpillar an everything he said came true. Even though Francisco wasn’t able to follow along like all the other children he still was able to communicate an able to be happy with the work he did.

Reply
  3. Anonymous

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator talks about his childhood and his experience in school. What makes me feel about the narrator experience is sad, he had problems in school for not knowing English. The purpose Jimenez’s telling of the school narrative is to give the reader an idea what he was thinking and trying to paint the moment for us. The experience I can relate to him is being held back. It relates by not doing well in class and feeling down repeating a grade. The purpose I think Jimenez is telling this particular school narrative is to give the opportunity to someone who does not go through the same difficulties as Francisco a chance to reflect and realize his life style. As well as to make people aware of the events a first grader and his family go through on a daily routine.

Emmal A.

Reply
  4. jonathan anabo

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator is a child and speaks of his experience being a Spanish speaker in an english school, and because he didn’t understand what the teacher was saying he often found himself daydreaming a lot. The narrator doesn’t come from a family made of money really the opposite, he and like many other people of color were marginalized and today that still reigns true. It is also bad that his mother couldn’t even enroll him into school because she had to take of the kids at home who aren’t old enough for school yet. I really like the ending because it just goes to show that its doesn’t matter if you speak english or not, that doesn’t make you a bad person or dumb. The narrator is an amazing artist and his skill was recognized, finally a medium where people can understand his dreams through the form of art. Racism is real and still exists today and for the narrator to share his story was so cool, it gave me window into the struggles of many latinos trying to make something of themselves in america for their families, and for their loved ones.

Reply
  5. Analicia Castro

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator shows me he didn’t give up. He didn’t give up when other students made fun of him, the fact that he didn’t know any english, when he got into an altercation with Curtis, or when he didn’t have friends. Something he did have was some sort of an attachment to the caterpillar. The caterpillar was his friend while everyone else avoided him, because they thought he was weird. The narrator disliked school so much. He couldn’t understand anything the teacher or other student were saying, but eventually he started to become more aware of the words. The narrator then felt comfortable when his teacher Miss Scalapino gave him a blue ribbon rewarding him for his butterfly drawing. Francisco, the narrator didn’t give up knowing he felt like the odd one out. He pushed through the challenges to get to a point where he felt satisfied. His bully, Curtis wasn’t a bully anymore.

Reply
  6. ahmad wais nejati

After reading “Inside Out” an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez,
    The reason why I think struggles have a lot to do with Francisco’s school experience was his ability to learn in school when he doesn’t know the English language. I empathize him with his patience and desire of wanting to understand what is going on in class and trying to learn the material by just looking at the illustrations from the books being read a loud in class. I feel like the narrators goal is to reach out to the readers and give them a glimpse of how those students who migrate from their home land live and try to cope with their new life. Understating how they live and why they left is very important to me because you get to really understand and value school and what it can do for you. Francisco had a lot of patience while learning in a new school because not only was he bullied by one of his classmates, his teacher was mean to him and very unfair because he couldn’t defend himself and tell her what was really going on and how the events happened.

Reply
  7. Zia

In “inside Out” an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez‘s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator
    This narrator is pretty much about immigrants, and it’s very meaningful and it have a lot of aspects, this narrator tells about an immigrant life and being from a poor or uneducated family, living in a different community new language new people different culture and rule and regulations but he is still motivated and he tries his best to listen to the teacher that what she teaching, he paid attention to books and he earn pride eventually and he is happy it’s because all his hard work.

Reply
  8. Marisela Solano

The narrator experience seems to be a sad and confusing situation. The reason why I made this conclusion is because he was a person who understood the language and he even though he knew one language he tried to learn English. The purpose of Jimenez telling his school narrative is because we see so many children crossing the borders to receive a better education struggle to speak English. He made it seem like anything is possible you can be able to communicate in many different ways not just by speaking the language. An occasion that I can be able to relate is when you get downgraded by someone you have trust and they tell you that you can’t be what you want to be but you try to prove them that they are wrong and that anything s possible once you try to do it yourself.

Reply
  9. SAYEED JAWEED

“in inside out: the narrator talks about the childhood and school experience he had while being out the hometown how hard is it to go to school without knowing the language even though Francisco had a lot of problems including financial he still struggled to continue his education to have a better life cuz he knew that his destiny is in his hands.

Reply
  10. Xavier Salazar

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator talks about his early stage in childhood and his school experience. What I feel about the narrator experience is feeling sad he had a disadvantage in school for not knowing english. The purpose Jimenez’s telling of the school narrative is to give the reader an idea what he was thinking and trying to paint the moment for us. The experience I can relate to him is being held back. It relates by not doing well in class and feeling down repeating a grade.

Reply
  11. Noel Burton

In the excerpt, Inside out, by Francisco Jimenez, the narrator explains his personal story about childhood and school. He explains how school was challenging for him and making friends was difficult for him. He didn’t know any English and that got in the way of making friends. I empathize with him because not knowing a language that everyone else knows can make forming friendships difficult. I think the purpose is to explain his personal experience and to show others who might be able to relate. I can relate to Jimenez because I also had a hard time understanding certain material in school and making friends was somewhat challenging. I would also day dream during class and not pay attention as much as I would have liked.

Reply
  12. lupitasantillano

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir,
    The Circuit, the narrator is try to let know how was his experience learning a second language. The narrator tried to make as realize how lucky we are to be able to attend a school were we can feel free to express our selves and others respect us as classmates and the teacher as students, the narrator express the experiences at school and how hard it is to adapt to a new life style. I think Francisco sympathized with the caterpillar because the caterpillar is ugly and nobody want to be around and it has suffer changes to become a beautiful butterfly. Francisco it going through similar changes to be love and accepted to the new society on his new life. The fact that he couldn’t understand or speak english make other not to be around him and this make francisco feel discriminated by classmates and teachers. But he was a smart guy who proved, he was good in his art class and the Miss Scalapino recognized his effort , and give him a blue ribbon. After getting the ribbon he felt accepted and respect.
    I empathize with the narrator learning new language it really give a headache.

Reply
  13. DINGKANG HUANG

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator illustrates his feeling in school by show but not to tell, I really like his writing style in these paragraphs. when he says he feel headache when he is in the bus, it shows he dislike the kids in the bus. In addition, I am appreciate that the narrator compare himself as the caterpillar. he try to adapt in school life and learn English is similar to the caterpillar try to grow up to be a butterfly. so that’s why he mentions caterpillar and butterfly many times. In the end, they both have a good ending, the caterpillar become a beautiful butterfly, And Francisco gets respect from his classmates and Miss Scalapino.
    As a English learner, I have the same feeling as well as Francisco.

Reply
  14. Ana Valencia

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator experiences various struggles and also patience. The reason why I think struggles have a lot to do with Francisco’s school experience was his ability to learn in school when he doesn’t know the English language. I empathize him with his patience and desire of wanting to understand what is going on in class and trying to learn the material by just looking at the illustrations from the books being read a loud in class. I feel like the narrators goal is to reach out to the readers and give them a glimpse of how those students who migrate from their home land live and try to cope with their new life. Understating how they live and why they left is very important to me because you get to really understand and value school and what it can do for you. Francisco had a lot of patience while learning in a new school because not only was he bullied by one of his classmates, his teacher was mean to him and very unfair because he couldn’t defend himself and tell her what was really going on and how the events happened.

Reply
  15. Dakota Hayes

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator has some sort of sorrow and empathy for Francisco’s trouble of English. Knowing that he was bullied just because he couldn’t speak proper English is sad. But even with Francisco’s troubles he overcame it and always kept a positive mind set. I feel it is to really get the reader to possibly feel how he does. I agree with Francisco as to wanting to learn something anxiously. I wanted to learn Spanish at one point of time and I was in a Spanish class nervous to even say back the words the teacher spoke; I also was having hard times learning it but I slowly but surely learned a little bit at a time.

Reply
  16. VI TRAN

After reading the “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator made the store for who have not being that situation know, how hard to live and learn in a place that you don’t know the language, you don’t have any friend and whole new environment, make you uncomfortable. In the story, Francisco don’t know anything about English, he has to guess what the teacher say so he can do right in class, he isn’t give up although he has to guess and don’t know English. In my situation, English is not my first language and when I move here, I feel scare to talk even though I know what people saying, because when I speak I has accent, I felt uncomfortable and left out, and some word I guess and barely understand them, I have to practice more. I have a friend who tell me to be brave, because only way I get better is talk and talk, may be it wrong, he told me that it ok, just need to talk practice and learn more vocabulary, that someday I will be better.

Reply
  17. Makayla Valadez

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator’s experience shows a boy struggling with not knowing how to speak English . I empathize Francisco trying different learning methods for trying to understand what the teacher is teaching the students .Jimenez is telling this school narrative to show the reader what its like to adapt to a new environment . I can also relate to Francisco by not fitting in with the other students in his classroom . When i was younger i always felt like i didn’t fit in i thought the other kids was smarter then me and I always distance myself .

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi Makayla, thank you for your post! I’m glad you were able to relate to the narrator’s experience when you mentioned that you felt you didn’t “fit in” with the other students. Were there any positive experiences or people who helped you persevere? I was also interested when you stated that you empathized Francisco for “trying different learning methods for trying to understand what the teacher is teaching the students.” I would love to know how that empathy of understanding for another impacted you. Lots to unpack! Thanks for sharing!

Reply
  18. Rafael fernandez

After reading “Inside Out” an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez , the narrator made it extremely noticeable that the character was experiencing a struggle that continued through the story. But even through Francisco’s struggle he always seemed to keep a positive demeanor and the will to try rather than set his head down. Francisco a child who knows very little English but would continue to try his best in order to make his parents happy. One event that I empathized was when Francisco was given the sweater because of not already having one, after knowing it was used he still took it because he appreciated the gesture and showed even with a lack of understanding he was still able to communicate his appreciation. Along when he was given the first place prize for having drawn the picture. This stood out to me because Francisco seemed to be extremely interested and this was his way of showing who he was. Lastly he had given away his drawing to the very person who had hurt him, to me it showed that Francisco is very mature and was eager to make friends regardless of not knowing how to properly communicate with others.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi, Rafael, thank you for your thoughts! I’m glad you were able to empathize the scene of when Francisco was given the sweater. Was there a particular reason this action moved you? I was also curious why the scene where Francisco was given a prize stood out for you, showing his maturity. Was there something in that scene you could relate to? What do you think was the purpose of this narrative? Great thoughts and insight — thanks for sharing, Rafael!

Reply
  19. Leping Cai

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrator’s experience was pity and showing sympathy for Francisco.The narrator telling this particular school narrative is to let the reader empathize how hard is to adapt to new environments, coming from a place where he was born migrate to an whole new strange place that he had never been.The custom is different,people are different,and the language they speak is different.The Narrator probably been through the same situation. I can totally relate to this. English is not my first language, I came to america when I was nine.I been through all the stuff that Francisco been through at school.I went to an all “white school” which mean there’s only few of my kind. I felt left out because I didn’t know how to speak English. I be sitting in class and don’t know what the teacher is teaching.However, there was this other student help me translate a little. I didn’t have much friends because they know I don’t speak English ,so it was hard to communicate with them. The first year was tough, learning an new language and custom..Then later on, I start getting better with my English and more comfortable at school.

Reply
    1. Anonymous

Hi Leping, thank you for your posting! It’s great to see you identified with this character’s challenges of starting school. I would love to see if there was a particular quote in the text that reminded you of this experience. Thank you for sharing.

Reply
  20. FAHAD AHMED

In “Inside Out”, an excerpt from Francisco Jimenez’s memoir, The Circuit, the narrators experience seemed very pity and patience. I think the narrator feels pity because he knows what its like to live this way. Therefore, when he sees someone from a different background and origin trying to fit in to another culture, he feels pity seeing them struggle because he probably had the same experience. In the story young Francisco was very nervous and scared in the beginning, he did not even understand what the teacher was saying. As a reader, I felt sympathy for him, and I can guess that the narrator felt pity. I also think the narrator has experienced patience because it’s obvious in the story that Francisco kept going to school even though he wanted to give a surprise visit to his dad at work. So slowly he learned some english by the end of the year and slowly everything seemed to be fine at school in the end. I empathize how much Francisco was determined to learn in school and not just give up. Francisco kept trying to listen to the teacher and try to understand her to the point where his head would hurt. That shows how much he really tried to understand the teacher and how much patience he had towards learning. Francisco would also look at the pictures of the book and try to understand the book even though he couldn’t read, and that shows his determination on how much he wanted to learn. In my opinion the purpose of Jimenez’s story is show show people whats its like to be in someone else’s shoes. I say this because, people are so used to being familiar with everything around them that everything seems easy and normal to them, but when a newcomer comes nobody offers help or cares because they dont know what its like to be from somewhere very different. Basically people should always be aware of people thats unfamiliar with things and that they should offer help instead of making fun of them or bullying them. I dont have anything to relate to because I never had this type of experience due to the fact that I grew up here. However, after reading Jimenez’s story I am much more aware and gained more knowledge about the point in his story.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi Fahad, thank you so much for posting! I am glad the story helped you become more aware and to gain some knowledge! I was especially intrigued by your introduction where you mentioned the narrator seemed to have pity; do you think the narrator had pity for himself, or was he trying to get the reader to feel pity for the character? I’d love to see a quote in the text that supports this idea. I very much agree that the narrator had so much patience to continue going to school, even when it was challenging. Yes, such patience and endurance!
      I was also intrigued by the fact that you mentioned you could not “relate” to issues such as bullying. Do you think that even if we as readers cannot relate to certain events, we can still have empathy for the characters? Does this elaborate your opinion that you believe the purpose of the story was to “show people what it’s like to be in someone else’s shoes”? Also, you mention that you were able to “empathize” Francisco’s determination in school. I was curious why you felt empathy and if you ever had a similar experience of having such determination in the past? Food for thought… Thanks for sharing!

Reply
  21. Shurentsetseg Battur

I believe that the narrator experiences many things like struggle and pity. I empathize with how Francisco wanted to learn English and how he just looked at the pictures that was on the book and tried to understand the book. I think he wanted to let others know what he went through as an English language learner and also wanted to make connections with the once who went through the same difficulties as him. I can relate to his struggles of learning English. I came here during sixth grade and I had no English, I felt like the others were making fun of me because I didn’t know English. Every time when others asked me questions I nodded my head for yes or no when I didn’t even know what they were asking. As days passes I learned English day by day.

Reply
    1. Tasha Keeble

Great job,______? (I haven’t matched your birth name with your preferred name yet. Can you revise this and use the format that I asked you to begin with. Just check back with the prompt. You’ll begin with “In Francisco Jimenez’ ‘Inside Out’ …

Reply
  22. Maya Cisneros

I believe the narrator’s experience was very strenuous and powerful, because when Francisco had an issue or problem he always found a way to overcome the issue. I empathize with how much Francisco wanted to learn. During the school year the teacher would read stories to the class and Francisco made up his own stories, in spanish, wishing he could understand what the teacher was saying. Another event that I empathize is when he was trying to read the picture book of caterpillars and butterflies, wanting to know more, he would close his eyes and see the words but could not understand what they meant. I can relate to these events because I have had a similar experience as well, when taking an anatomy class for the first time.
    The purpose I think Jimenez is telling this particular school narrative is to give the opportunity to someone who does not go through the same difficulties as Francisco a chance to reflect and realize his life style. As well as to make people aware of the events a first grader and his family go through on a daily routine.

Reply
    1. Miss Jiménez

Hi Maya, thank you for your post! I’m glad you were able to empathize and relate to the narrator’s experience of wanting to learn, as you did in your anatomy class. I agree that this narrative gives readers an opportunity to “reflect” upon and “realize” other lifestyles. Do you think this story is timely in 2016? Why do you think it’s important to have empathy and “make people aware” of different lifestyles? So much to consider… Thank you for your reflections, Maya!

Reply
  23. LaWayne Williams

I think the narrator experiences certain things such as pity and empathy for young
    Francisco. Personally, I empathize with Francisco’s struggles with the language barrier at his new school and I also empathize his living situation with his four soon to be five siblings and two parents all in a tent on a plantation. I think he believes this particular story is a issue at hand in multiple places and there has to be salvation for all. I can relate to his struggles of being a young child in a different area with only one source of information to give me a sense of direction and idea on what’s going on around me. I was five years old at the time, somewhere close to Francisco age in this story and its not so easy going around a group of kids that speak a different language but I can say that it did help me with my body language skills.

Reply
    1. Ms. Jimenez (Post author)

Hi Lawayne, thank you for your post. I’m glad you were able to empathize with Francisco’s struggles with language. I’m very intrigued that you also learned some body language skills on your own. How did you discover that learning a language –spoken or body language — was important to communicate? I was especially curious about the statement you made about wanting to find a “salvation for all.” What a profound statement! I’d love to see some supporting evidence — a quote or certain scene — of exactly what you meant by this. Thanks for sharing!

Reply