December 2

Reading Questions in Preparation for Socratic Seminar

Turn to chapter 4. Use your text to answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper.

1. “Police officers constantly placed young men in this [gang] database.” (78)

What Amendment in the Bill of Rights does this seem to violate? What do you think about this police practice?

Next, turn to page 77 where Spider describes the attack on his block. It starts, “I was kicking it in front of my house with some homies and stuff…”.

Answer each question on that passage:

2.
a) Cite three examples where Spider’s language is “informal”.

b) What is the effect of his speaking language? What does his speaking language tell the reader about Spider? Be Specific.

Watch these two videos and note/record 3 details/pieces of evidence from each to use in our Socratic Seminar.

Bring to class Wednesday.

enduring-myth-of-black-criminality

Posted December 2, 2015 by tashak38 in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area--Big Up to the East Bay and have two wonderful teenaged daughters..cough, cough. Really, I actually do have two great girls and we love techy stuff. I teach high school English in Hayward, CA, and spent a little too much of my lifetime earning a couple of degrees in English Literature, yipee!. I'm completely stoked about blogging and love to watch my students watch themselves publishing their own works in real school time.