October 8

The Myth of the Latin Woman Response.

After reading the essay in the text, answer questions 1, 2, and 4. Be thorough and proofread for run-ons, fragments and comma splices.

Posted October 8, 2012 by tashak38 in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area--Big Up to the East Bay

66 thoughts on “The Myth of the Latin Woman Response.

1. Abrianna Macias

Abrianna Macias
    Ms. Keeble
    Ap English
    Period 6

1. The incidents that happend on the bus and hotel were all incidents that occured because people made assumptions based on the physical appereance of people.
    2. The stereotypes of the Latina women are that they are viewed like sexual beings or low income workers. This shows how people jugde each other based on sterotypes and dont even bother to actually get to know people.
    4. Im not gonna lie, I do make assumptions based on how people. For example I see people dressed with expensive clothes I automatically assume that there rich. I dont think that we will ever live in a world where people dont make stereostypes.

Reply
  2. Angel Munoz

Angel Munoz
    Ms.Keeble
    Period 1

1)In both stories , they have same content and are related by assuming so much about her because of her latin feature. Just assuming had the other question because of what they were both whistling to.

2)She mentions a lot about the many different archetypes. she shows ideas that were not individual ideas. All these archetypes were actually pushed and forgotten like all the others.

4)Everyone goes against the sterotypes in life and that is how it is going to be . Many people are just born that way to judge someone based on there feature and there is no way you can stop it since it has been started.

Reply
  3. Destiny Bets

Destiny B
    Oct 13, 2012
    Period 5
    AP English

1)All the scenes that occurred on the bus and the other places were just assumptions of the author from a different view because of her ethnicity.

2) I agree with Maria when she stated, “In the text, it said that latinas were refered as “whore, domestic, or criminal”, by saying this it shows how people in the same group are seen if others in that group are. Her reason is to reveal that these words aren’t just from one or 2 people, they’re common stereotypes.

4) Like many human beings, I tend to also judge people according to their appearance but I won’t say anything, it’s just my assumption. Sometimes many of our judgements are wrong and lead us in wrong directions all because we are either to stupid or lazy to get to know someone.

Reply
  4. Sarai P.

Sarai Polanco
    Mrs. Keeble
    AP English
    11 October 2012

1: In the beginning of his essay, Staples ambiguously describes himself as some type of a criminal by writing, “My first victim was a woman-white, well dressed, probably in her early twenties, (362).” But as he continues forward with his essay, he explains that he truly is not a criminal. He is assumed to be a criminal because of stereotyping that is attributed to people of his ethnicity.
    2: This complication and paradox can be summed up by Staples’ closing words, because his whistling acted as a warning. However this warning would not encite any more fear then was already being admitted by those who found Staples frigthening.
    4: In Staples’ essay, I found myself identifying myself with the people walking on the street. Due to my white appearance , I have never frightened anyone enough to cross the street. Honestly though, I feel that it didn’t bias me toward the piece of writing. I still thought is was unfair that Staples was being misjudged.

Reply
  5. maria fajardo

Maria F
    Period 2

1)all incidents in the bus happened because people would assume that that was her because she was latina.

2)in the text it said that latinas were refered as “whore, domestic, or criminal”, by saying this it shows how people in the same group are seen if others in that group are.

4)I think that now a days everyone makes assumptions on people based on anything really like the way they dress, act, look. talk,

Reply
  6. Elisha Hussain

Elisha Hussain
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English, Period:5
    October 9, 2012

1) The incidents on the bus, in the hotel, and at the poetry reading all have stereotype involved in them. They all took a glance at Judith Ortiz Cofer and automatically assumed that she was uneducated and illiterate, without getting to know her. Also, I noticed that each time Ortiz was stereotyped or judged, she controlled her anger, and handled the situation rationally.

2) The different types of Latinas that Cofer mentions in the essay are the Hot Tamale, the Maid, and the Cook. These archetypes are used in steroetyping Latina women. The point that she makes about classification in general is that many people judge others based on looks and race, but what they really don’t know is that because of their judgements and stereotypes many people are affected and hurt by them.

4) It’s unfortunate to admit, but I perceive others by their appearance most of the time. However, I do base my opinion of individuals mostly on personality. No we can’t live with these snap judgements becuase they will eventually increase and lead to a downfall in people’s characteristics. We can live with them because we have been doing so for many generations, and I honestly don’t think that it will change anytime soon. An example of a snap judgement would if you see an Asian walking by you, the assumption that you would make is that they are smart. This example is based off of stereotype and I have made this judgement many times before, due to lack of knowledge.

Reply
  7. Zoey Madsen

Zoey
    AP English 11, period 5
    Ms. Keeble
    9 October 2012

1. The incidents on the bus, in the hotel, and at the poetry reading were all involving a stranger that had absolutely no idea who Judith Ortiz Cofer was. They all made an assumption based on what nationality she looked and the stereotypical ties to that nationality.

2.Judith mentions Puerto Ricans, Hispanics, and Latinas as being recognized in mainstream culture. Her explicit detail into the mainstream categorizing Hispanic/Latinas as sizzling and smoldering makes the point that not only is categorization for a whole nationality wrong, but it is also largely exaggerated. Judith explains that the culture clash has a relevance to the whole situation; but she also explains that assumptions upon appearance and a different culture is also wrong. As an American, they are pushing our culture onto Latinas, not understanding that their may be a difference in circumstances.

4.I think that there are positive judgments and negative judgments. Not even specifically positive, but normal. As humans, out thought process is entirely based on judgement. Judgments form inferences or thoughts, almost like a theory. There’s a difference between saying somebody is poor based on what they’re wearing, or coming to a theoretical conclusion that they’re going home from work because their close are tattered. I don’t believe we can live without judgments. They are not just negative approaches, they can help us come to certain conclusions in our every day life.

Reply
  8. niauni

Niauni Hill
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English, Period 1
    09 October 2012

1) The incident on the bus, hotel and poetry reading were all similar because stereotypical slurs thrown at Judith Ortiz Cofer were all because of her appearance. People were judging her because of her race, her being Latina.

2) The different kinds of Latina Cofer says are recognized in mainstream Anglo-American culture is the Maid, the Cook and the “Hot Tamale”. The point the author makes about classification in general is that these are not ideas that have been thought about from one individual person. These ideas have been forced by advertisements, media and etc.

4) –posted already–

Reply
  9. DaJohn Wade

1) Each situation that happened with the Latina woman was due to her being Latina. The scenarios were prejudice ones. Her character was overlooked by her appearance.
    2)Cofer explains how most Latina women or women of the Anlgo-American culture are perceived as slutty, promiscuous, and as housewives or maids. It may be because of the typical clothing they wear, how they speak, how they walk, or just because of the rumors and assumptions made. When the Irish man sang out Maria, which can be associated with being a “mexican/hispanic/latina name”, an assumption was made by a man in society. It might have just been a coincidence, but there were other situations that were similar.
    4)I have prejudice ways and I make assumptions myself. I have done this with my own ethnicity. Unfortunately, if I have an idea of how one ethnicity may act, and I see someone who resembles that, I will start to put them in that category, fair or not. I try not to do it as much, even though most of the times I have done this, the person proved me right instead of wrong. It can be hypocritical for me to prejudge, but not want it to be done to myself from someone else, but the society I was raised in has this method embedded. I don’t believe at all this is the right thing to do, and we should all try to change this, but rooted actions and ways like prejudging someone will take time to get out of people’s systems.

Reply
  10. David M.

David Martinez
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English
    8 October 2012
    1. There were incidents on the bus, the hotel, and a reading of poetry where people had presumptions of people based on their appearence. People base the name of a person through their appearence, in this case a latin name.
    2. Many people see Latinas as mature hardworking women with an inner fire for love. Other people classifly them as criminals, housemaids, or even cooks that make spicy food with a common mispronunciation of words. This makes people who classify others look bad and very lowly informed.
    4. I suppose being judgemental or presumptious is something everyone does, but is not something that should hinder my thoughts on someone. Usually when people are dressed oddly i avoid them and assume they are criminals. If they live in a bad place i can assume they are in financial troubles. I dont believe we can live without them, the fact is that everyone will have presumptions of anyone no matter what.

Reply
  11. Raymond P.

Raymond P
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English
    8 October 2012

1.The incidents on the bus, the hotel, and the poetry readings have in common is that they are presuming things that the author put.
    2. Cofer says that Latinas are represented like whores, criminals, or domestic. The classification she makes on people is that Latinas are worthless and that they are ill-informed on whats going on.
    4. I believe people act judgemental because its part of them. They see society doing this to others so much, that they follow. People who do not have much may surprise because they can come out of the bad neighborhoods and become stars. We cannot live with these judgemental sayings because without it, we will not become who we are.

Reply
  12. Adria Watson

Adria W.
    Ms.Keeble
    AP English per 2
    9 September 2012

1.The incidents that the bus, hotel, and poetry reading have is that each of them deal with Judith Ortiz Cofer being stereotyped because she is Latina.
    2.Cofer states that the kinds of Latinas that are recognized in mainstream Anglo-American culture are classified as “whores,domestic, and criminal”. The point that she makes about classification is that the media is pushing it on people to classify others by who they are and what their culture is.
    4.I have perceived others before by the way they look. Do I think it is wrong? yes. No one should never be judged based off of where they live or what they do because that doesn’t make them who they are as a person. I think we can live without these kind of snap judgements because they were created by the media as a way for society to view each other in a negative way.

Reply
  13. Natasha R.

Natasha R.
    Keeble
    AP English
    period 5
    8 October 2012

1)when Ortiz recalls the incidents on the bus, hotel, and reading her poetry, they all go back to the sterotypes about latinas. An example of this would be when she was on the bus and a man assumed her name was Maria.
    2)The type of the person persume about latinas andOrtiz would be that they are suppose to do house hold work , mature early, and dress with clothes that bare their stomachs. She states that they are the way they are becasue they come from a family were it’s ok to wear clothes that show a little becasue it means nothing in their culture and due to the hot climates on the island.
    4)The way that I judge or dertermine who/ how people are is usually from what I hear, observe, and by actually talking to them. Sometimes just basing the person on where they live and work doesn’t always mean that person does those things becasue of the sterotypes. I think that exluding these assumptions of people would make many more lives easier, such as being able to express themselves and their culture.

Reply
  14. niauni

Niauni Hill
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English, Period 1
    The Myth of the Latin Woman Response
    09 October 2012

1)

2)

4)I perceive majority of people in a positive light, regardless of their surroundings or what they do for a living. I already came up with the conclusion that people go through hard times and they do whatever it takes to make a living. I had a friend who lived in a horrible setting, I mean trash all around her house but I did not change my views of her as a person. These snap judgements could not be ignored or lived without, because without them how else would we respect what we have in front of us?

Reply
  15. Alexia G.

1) At the incidents on the bus, in the hotel, and at the poetry reading, Cofer encounters acts of stereotypes towards her Latin culture. The people in these incidents offended her by making assumptions that her name was either Maria or Evita and thinking she was a waitress since those are the stereotyical names and jobs of Latin women.
    2) “Mixed cultural signals have been perpetuated certains stereotypes- for example, that of the Hispanic woman as the “Hot Tamale” or a sexual fireband” (par. 6) explains how Latin woman are seen. It is said that Cofer’s Anglo friends and mothers found their way of dressing too mature for their age. Because of this, Latin women are seen as “whores, domestic or criminal.” (par. 14) Cofer states that the medai has overgeneralized Latinas as a cartoon, housemaid or waitress Maria.
    4) It would wrong for me to say that I don’t make assumptions from first impressions and judgements; naturally, everyone does it. There was an incident when I was working as an aid in the office and a Chinese woman came in with her child. I said “hello, how are you” in Chinese, what I remebered from learning from my friend. She looked at me blankly, and asked “Is the principal here?” in perfect English. I felt extremely embarassed and I just walked away. After she left, I started to feel ashamed of myself for making an assumption that she speaked Chinese. As I thought about it even more, I began to wonder if she was even Chinese. It is a horrible thing to go around making assumptions like these because of a judgement. Of course judgements exist in our society, and they probably will forever. But we cannot making sterotypical and prejudice statements from a judgement.

Reply
  16. Harrison Nguyen

Harrison Nguyen
    Ms. Keeble
    APENG 5th period
    10/9/12

1) The incidents on the bus, at the hotel, and at the reading were stereotypes of an Hispanic women. Each of them having a stereotypical name that Hispanic women have

2) Cofer says that Latinas are represented as “whore, domestic, or criminal” in mainstream Anglo-American culture. He/she is saying that they are sex symbols. Her classification is that because they are from Latin America they dress in clothes that is very revealing

4)I constantly judge people everyday at school when I walk past them. For example when I see a blonde white girl I think they are dumb or when I see a a skateboarder I think they are also dumb. When it comes to jobs, I don’t judge people on it because its hard to get a job now and if I was unemployed I would take any job available, even if it was a cashier position at McDonalds. We can live without making judgements off someones appearance but its very difficult for people.

Reply