September 21

Respond to Speeches

As an audience member, I want you to think of yourself as a “low information” voter. You do not watch much news. You work at night in a factory, have two kids getting ready to go to college. You make a decent living, but are a little worried about your retirement and your health insurance costs.

Watch both videos as this “low information” voter. You have to vote in November and haven’t made up your mind about either candidate. You are going to watch the speeches with an open mind.

First, explain the most notable ways each candidate appeals to you as a voter. Does he use any of the language devices we just learned about to appeal to logos, ethos, pathos? Then, decide who will get your vote. Next, justify your decision. Once you finish writing, I should see a clear argument that supports your decision. If you like what another student says, quote them and add to his/her statement. (As an aside–I hope you noticed I didn’t have to use he/she because they are both men:) Due Monday morning.

Posted September 21, 2012 by tashak38 in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area--Big Up to the East Bay

72 thoughts on “Respond to Speeches

1. Alexis L.

Alexis L.
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English 11
    9/26/12
    Per.5
    As a ,”low information”, voter, I preferred Obama because he got to point everytime he spoke. Unlike Romney who, throughout his whole speech, irrationally critisized Obama. Romney showed a substantial amount of ad hominem attack. That just made me not want to vote for him. I have to admit that he did talk about helping families which caught my attention, but that was really the only thing. I also really liked Obama’s speech because he talked about lowering taxes for the middle class and raising them for the wealthy. Since I’m part of the middle class i feel that this is fair since most middle class people work hard for their money so why would they need to pay mor tax? Another thing that i like that Obama talked about was it being easier for soldiers to aqcuire jobs because it has been a problem in this country that war veterans aren’t treated like how they are suppose to be. Overall i really did like Obama’s speech, i have decided my for who I’m going to vote, and it is Obama.

Reply
  2. David D.

David Delgado
    AP English
    MS.Keeble
    September 25 2012

I really enjoined watching both Romney’s and Obama’s speech. Both Romney and Obama used humor to get closer to the audience and make them feel more comfortable, in addition they both attacked each other I there speeches. What I didn’t like though was that Romney was mostly attacking Obama in his speech instead of talking about other things. Romney clearly “His promises gave away to disappointment.” ( 7:37) he attacks Obama not just there but many times more. I also noticed that they used sarcasm to be humorous, and to attack each other at the same time. I noticed that Obama used pathos during his speech. He said it was thanks to us that an undocumented can go to college and have a career; he used this to get sympathy from the audience. Also he uses Anaphora in his speech, I noticed that he said “We the people” many times. With everything Obama said to me during his speech he got to me, I felt like he was being true to me, he wasn’t telling lies about anything. I really like the quote Johan Ocegueda had about what Obama said “I was not elected to tell you what you want to hear, I was elected to tell you the truth.” This showed me that Obama was being straight with me. If I were to vote for a president this year I would vote for Obama.

Reply
  3. Kiala A.

Kiala Aranas
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English 11, Per. 5
    24 September 2012

Before either of the presidential speeches were given, the camera panned over the crowds which made me subconciously ask, “What do they know, that I don’t?”

I appreciate the way that both Romney and Obama appealed to their respective crowds by using the tools of persuation that we have learned of in class. As a mother of two adolecent children, as a factory worker, and as a citizen of the United States, I am entitled to uphold my values. Both Obama and Romney told us what they will do, but their approach is what first intrigued me. Obama specifically told us how he will improve these tough times, while Romney pointed out what Obama should’ve done in these past four years. Although many will criticize Romney for pointing fingers, its a legitimate argument; one that must be presented. With the economy as it is, can I really wait to see if Obama will do what he says he would do four years ago? With Romney’s business knowledge, I can trust him to lead the economy out of this mess. One of the questions that one must ask about the term that Obama has served, is whether he prevented, or postponed something worse than the Great Depression. With that being said, I must say that I can identify with Romney because of both the values that he was raised with that he had explained in his background introduction, and the issues and concepts that he brought to attention. Obama also made a compelling argument, but I cannot affort to let time waste away. While the chance of failure is fifty-fifty, Obama has shown me what he can do. I want to see how Romney will apply his business ethics and expiriences to the future of The United States of America.

Reply
  4. Trhas B

Trhas Bairu
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English 11, Period 2
    24 September 2012

Both the speeches included ethos and pathos in them, and what I also noticed is the Romney talked about his personal life and the negative things Obama did not fix rather than speak upon how he will fix them. Throughout both Romney & Obama’s speeches they used sarcasm & humor to entertain the crowd and people watching. One thing that attracted me most about Obamas speech is him improve education and wishes for no child to have to throw away a college diploma. Given the role of a “’low information’ voter I defiantly would vote for Obama being because I personally think his goals and ideas attract me more than Romeny’s. I agree with Romny Obama hasn’t got America to be all perfect, there are people still loosing jobs or have no job, but patience is key, and I trust Obama. So I think him being president for another term would benefit all Americans including myself!

Reply
  5. Destiny Bets

Destiny Bets
    September 24, 2012
    period 5
    Both nominees used ethos, logos and pathos, but one that was more revealing is pathos. Like the quote Johan used above. Obama clearly states his hopes for us and how he plans to accomplish it while on the other hand Mitt Romney just keeps talking about what Obama hasn’t done. In my opinion, Mitt Romney is convincing at all and is just full of it because instead of taking time to explain what his plans for the future is, he prefers to just put Obama down. And i don’t agree with any of his suggestions for the future. How is taxing poor people going to better our future. He clearly is unstable for being in charge. Something i highly dislike about what Romney said was when he stated, “you need an American”, what does that mean? I wonder if white is his definition of “american.” Obama uses logos to support his plans and hope for our future, although starting off talking about his wife was a little off topic, but still cute. Also, when Obama told his kids that they still have to go to school in the morning show all of us that just because his kids are the “president’s kids” doesn’t mean they are treated differently then any of us. Which just furthers me in to voting for him as President.

Reply
  6. niaunihill

Niauni Hill
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English, Period 1
    24 September 2012

Obama and Romney both appealed to pathos and ethos. Obama also appealed to logs (logical events). I feel Obama is a better candidate for president, because he actually cares about America. On the other hand, Romney is thinking of his needs and how he would like things to be done. Even though Obama is a better candidate, Romney is also a good candidate as well. Just because we feel that Obama is doing things right, doesn’t necessarily mean that Romney is doing things wrong. We favor Obama because we feel that he can and will make a change. Most of us are scared of change and Romney is change…not a change that we want of course, but he is a change. Most of us dislike Romney because he wants to decrease taxes for rich people and increase taxes for poor people. We do not feel that that is logical.

Reply
  7. Alicia O. Period 1

Alicia Oseguera
    Keeble
    AP English
    Period 1
    23 September 2012
    After watching both speeches of Obama and Romney I noticed both used ethos and pathos to appeal to their viewers. In the case of Romney, he told the story of his dad being governor of Michigan without having completed college. This is pathos because he is trying to catch the viewer’s emotions. Throughout Romney’s speech he is just trying to act as an ordinary man by talking about his life and his wife. While, in Obama’s speech more logos are being used just like mentioned before in an earlier response, by Obama talking about the future plans he has for the United States. For example, he mentioned that in these last four years as president he was able to end the war with Iraq, catch Osama, and lower the costs of students who want to go to college. In both speeches they are using ad hominem attack by both attacking each person’s character. They both want to win and get a lot of votes so they both attack each other’s personality.
    I would give my vote to Obama because his speech seemed more appealing. He was able to make me believe him and actually believe that he is telling the truth. When in Romney’s speech it seemed as if he was just focusing on trying to be portrayed to the viewers as a normal guy just like everyone else. Romney just made it seem as if he was just lying. Not only was that but Romney just criticized Obama’s accomplishments in his term of presidency without really expressing the plans he has. Obama was able to describe the different plans he has set for the future of the United States while Romney was only capable of naming the failures of Obama. Also, Obama saying, “You didn’t elect me to tell you what you want to hear but to tell you the truth”, shows that he knows what he is talking about and makes the viewers believe that what he says is the truth. Overall, my vote will go to Obama because he was able to show me that he is being who he is and not trying to act like someone else.

Reply
  8. Adiam H

Adiam Habtay
    September 24,2012
    Period 5

In their acceptance speeches both of the candidates had humor to make the audience comfortable,and also had the same theme to make America an better nation Both Romney and Obama use pathos ,ethos and ad hominem attacks each other. Romney stated that “I wish president Obama would have had succeeded” ,which grasped my attention. As a middle class “low information” voter who has a middle class job, and two kids preparing for college. I would vote for Obama it takes time to make an country grow. Obama is in the process of doing it, while Romney kept repeating that Obama did not succeed. Obama was honest and told America that it takes time and he has plans for America to continue to grow. Obama stated that “Students shouldn’t have to put aside a college acceptance letter because they can’t afford it”. Which also grasped my vote because I do not won’t my children to go through this.

Reply
  9. Yarelli Lopez

Yarelli Lopez
    Ms. Keeble
    AP Lang & Composition
    24 September 2012
    I was filled with hope and inspiration, after listening to both Obama’s and Romney’s speeches. They talked in ways that makes you have sympathy upon the incredible stories they bring out. Just like Johan Ocegueda, I noticed that they both use their “sense of humor” to entertain the audience. They also include examples such as pathos, logos, and ethos in their speeches to attract more attention. Obama did an extraordinary job. He talked with confidence and with a goal set in his mind. He passed that feeling to me every time he said a word. Since I know how hard it is to give my family and my children a good place to live. I become enlightened every time he speaks of a better, less expensive education because that is what I want for my children. I want a better future for them and I do see that Obama has great ideas to lead this great nation. On the other hand, Romney does not transmit any strong feeling towards me. He uses ad hominem attack against Obama by expressing that “he did not succeed.” He does mention things about the family and spending more time with your children, but he does not mention that he will support low income families like mines. I also did notice that most of his audiences were white folks and there were not so much differences of ethnicities. To conclude, I just want to point out that I want my children to be in a place where they don’t feel inferior but that they feel that it is their home. This is one reason from the many of why I will give my vote to Obama in the upcoming elections.

Reply
  10. jose prado

Jose Prado
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English 11
    Period 5

After watching both speeches, both Obama and Romney used pathos so the people could be more attentive to their speeches. Both presented themselves really good and joked around to make the people interested and make them feel comfortable. But Romney didn’t really talk about what hes going to do as a president to help the people, instead he talked about his family and talked about what Obama hasn’t done for the people. While Obama talked about all the things hes going to do to change our country and help the people.
    So as a “low information” voter I would vote for Obama. Simply because he talks about all the changes hes going to do that convince and will benefit middle class families like me. That’s what helped Obama in his speech, all his plans and his descriptive details of plans and ideas for the people. While Romney just tried to make Obama look bad by saying that he hasnt done anything ever since he became president. So this why I would give my vote to Obama and not Romney as a “low information” voter.

Reply
  11. Kiana Ledda

Kiana Ledda
    Keeble
    AP English, Per. 5
    23, September 2012

After listening to the acceptance speeches, I can honestly say that I was moved and enlightened by both of the candidates’. Within both of the candidates’ speeches, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney used pathos and ad hominem attacks. However, in this hypothetical situation as a “low information voter”, my vote would go to Obama for many reasons.
    Within Obama’s speech, he appeals to the audience with the use of pathos, logos and ad hominem attacks. An example of Obama using pathos in his speech was when he was revealing his inspriration towards the soldier with the amputated leg. One example of when Obama used logos was when he was stating that he is the better choice of president by listing his accomplishments within the fours years he been given as president. Lastly, Obama replied to Romney’s ad hominem attacks by using another ad hominem attack. Unlike Romney, Obama states why Romney’s plans for president isn’t the right path for America. For instance, Obama pointed out how Romney’s plan is spend money on military hardware rather than put the money on war and pay down the nation’s debt.
    Throughout Romney’s entire speech, he uses the tools of ethos, pathos, and ad hominem attacks to appeal to his audience. Romney uses ethos by revealing his character as another regular citizen who has the same morals. An example of how Romney uses pathos was when he telling the story of how his mother was devastated when she found out her husband was dead. Finally, Romney uses ad hominem attacks towards Obama by stating that Obama has not achieved anything as president.
    As a “low information” voter, my vote would go to Obama because within his speech, he provided his plans as president and convincing reasons to why he is the better choice. Although Romney made a more relatable impact, he still wasn’t convincing enough to help with my situation. I have two kids that I have to send to college and I work late in a factory worrying about money issues. After listening to both candidate speeches, Obama has provided me with enough information to receive my vote.

Reply
  12. Desiree Negrette

Desiree Negrette

Ms. Keeble

AP English 11

22 September 2012

Both Romney and Obama used pathos, ethos, and ad hominem attacks in their speeches. For example, Romney tries to channel our emotions with his story about his parents and his childhood. Obama talks about his own experiences with the American people and the hope that they give him. He also begins his speech by telling his kids that they have to go to school in the morning, this allows us to connect with Obama on a whole other level. Both of the candidates used as hominem attacks. Romney attacked Obama and said he has not done anything for our country in the last four years. Obama attacked Romney and said that his ideas of having the wealthy pay less and other ideas were absurd. If I was a low imformation voter and had a family to think about, I would vote for Obama. I would vote for Obama because he gave his solutions and plans for fixing problems. Romney didn’t explain what he would do to fix problems. Also Romney only talks about getting more jobs. Obama talks about jobs, the environment, education, and war. Obama’s soultions were straight forward and truthful.

Reply
  13. DaJohn Wade

I would vote for Barack Obama simply because he has goals out for us to accomplish instead of trying to just please the crowd, like Romney. Obama used logos. Romney used pathos. The main difference is, Romney’s logos contradict themselves and have a hidden agenda behind them. He has been proven wrong and have many journalists, reporters, and just curious people find flaws in his plans for the United States. Being a “low information” voter, that would automatically shift my attention to someone who has run the country and done right by our side. He is giving alot of valid points in a way that catches my attention, gives eye contact which shows he is engaged with his supporters, and if his already committed supporters since he is president was not enough, he was majority of the votes in the election.

Reply
  14. Phuong-My N.

Phuong-My Nguyen
    Keeble
    AP English, Per. 2
    23 September 2012

Respond to Speeches

As a “low information” voter who works night shifts in a factory and have two kids getting ready to go to college, hearing these candidates project a speech on why we should vote them for president made me think, “Who will make this country a better one? Who will make my retirement easy? Who is going to keep health insurance?” Mitt Romney and Barack Obama are this year’s candidates for president and in their acceptance speech, they used logos, ethos, and pathos. What they had in common in their speeches was that they both used humor and sarcasm to get their audience to feel comfortable. Also, they both attacked each other in a way. The most notable ways Mitt Romney appealed to me as a voter was that he seemed kind because he said, “… I’ve chosen a man with a big heart from a small town. He represents the best of America… A man who will always make us very proud. My friend and America’s next vice president, Paul Ryan… I love the way he lights up around his kids and how he’s not embrassed to show the world how much he loves his mom.” (2:50) when introducing his vice president. Romney also used pathos when he said “We should hug our kids a little longer.” and by telling the audience about his life. Romney used ethos by portraying himself as a friendly person and that he used different ways to get people to vote for him. Obama used a lot more of logos than Romney because he talked about how he had experience in the office and how it would benefit Americans if he was relected. Obama was focused on contential problems as well as United State’s problems unlike Romney who was only concerned about the U.S. Also, Obama told stories that we could relate to and to make us feel sympathetic, thus the use of pathos. After hearing both candidates give their speeches, I would decide to vote for Obama because I felt like I agreed with him on more issues than Romney. Obama is best candidate to run for President in my eyes. He actually cares about this country and he does not spend most of his speech bashing on people. Instead, he addresses the issues the U.S. is going through and how he will try to fix them. Romney seems like a good man, but I do not think he is cut to be president. Obama all the way!

Reply
  15. Merritt W.

Mitt Romney and President Obama used pathos and ethos to appeal to their viewers. They both used ad hominem attacks against each other. They also used jokes to make the crowds more comfortable. Watching Mitt Romney’s speech I noticed that he talked about himself and his personal life instead of how he was going to help our country. He appealed to me by showing his family values, he talks about the present. As a parent working in a factory trying to send two kids to college, this is important to me.
    Obama’s speech was more about how he was going to help our country and make it better. I agree with Rachael when she said “Obama as president seems to care about education for children.” I agree more with what he plans to do for this country. So when it comes down to voting I am going to vote for Obama, because he talked about solutions; and I want a president who is straight forward with his answers instead of Mitt Romney who sat there and bashed the president and talked about himself the whole night. Obama has my vote.

Reply
  16. Bilguun B.

Bilguun Batdorj

Ms. Keeble

AP English

September 23, 2012

The candidates Mitt Romney(R) and Barack Obama(D) used high levels of pathos to appeal to the poor and middle class Americans. In Mitt Romney’s speech he stated that small business owners, college students and people with no retirement plans wanted a little extra money left over. He stated that he hoped Obama fixed the national debt and increased the GDP of all Americans but sadly he did not. “You deserve it because your family depended on you and you did it because you’re an American and you don’t quit, you did it because it was what you had to do, driving home from that second job” Mitt Romney stated. He tries to relate to us normal Americans. Whilst Obama doesn’t use as much pathos. Instead he talks about HOW he’s going to fix the economy while Mitt Romney just talks about stories in which how poor individuals are struggling to survive in the free market. Thus Obama uses way, way more logos then Mitt Romney. He states that it will not take a couple of months or years to fix the American economy and put us on track again but it will take decades. This is very logical and when he said this a lot of people applauded him. “We are making things again, I have met workers in Detroit who feared they will never built another American car and today they can built them again fast enough.” This is one of the several pathos Obama uses. Unlike Mitt Romney’s pathos Obama includes hope into his speech. He tells the American people that things are getting better. As a conclusion I will undoubtedly choose Obama to be the next president of the USA and increase our GDP and decrease the spending. He is the only who actually tells the truth and he is way more truthful. Although i would have picked Ron Paul but sadly he did not get enough votes.

Reply
  17. Diana Larios

Diana Larios
    Keeble
    AP English
    1st Period
    23 September 2102

Subsequent to listening to both acceptance speeches, it is lucid to see that both candidates are using the appeal to pathos, reaching the audience to then endorse their views on America and how they plan to help enhance our intricate situation. Ranging from topics such as, education, war, economical battles, health care, environmental struggles, jobs, and world peace. Now in this hypothetical situation, I can connect more to what Obama is proposing, reasons being, I am making enough but at the same time I am about to send two students to college. Education now a day’s not being too inexpensive, which is going to end up costing me if my children do not get scholarships, with Obama I am offered a better chance at giving my children an opportunity to get a college education because I know that he believes and stands on the fact that no student should be denied the chance to go to achieve a higher education because they cannot afford it. He plans to work with universities too cut tuition rates in half which is very beneficial to me and my family. In this hypothetical situation I am concerned about my health care insurance payments; with Obama-Care, health care is provided at a lower rate for those who need it and qualify. As when Romney will appeal Obama-Care if elected, which does not necessarily benefit me or my family because if I am unable to keep up with my payments I will have to go on hoping that neither my children nor myself become ill. Which we all know is ridiculous to live by because we all have to get sick at one point, eventually, thus all requiring medical aid. Mitt Romney made an ad hominem attack when he said that there was a superior percentage in our nation that believe that our children will not have a better future, which was not at all what we were promised from the president that was elected four years prior at the last election, in terms being former president Obama. He also continued with saying “Obama gave away to disappointment.” In a way scaring me as a “low information” voter making me afraid for my family because if there was no change in the last four years, then what will be the difference this time. Romney finishes with saying “I will help you and your family.” Sounding reassuring, but at the same time he does not appeal to me with any credibility because this is his first time running for office as when Obama has more experience being the former president and in being the leader of this country these last four years. All in all my vote will go with Obama, his focus on education, helping middle class families prosper, helping those in need of medical health care, and small business all benefit my regards and concerns that I have for my family. To finish off my vote was won by Barack Obama.

Reply
  18. Jhoann B.

Jhoann Batac
    Ms. Keeble
    AP English 11, Period 2
    23 September 2012

In their acceptance speeches, both Romney and Obama incorporated pathos and ethos to appeal to their audiences. They also used humor to engage the viewers and employed ad hominem attacks against one another, revealing each other’s flaws. Romney pointed out that Obama didn’t fulfill the promises he made to the American people by not producing major changes in the damaged state of our government/ economy. “I wish president Obama had succeeded because I want America to succeed. But his promises gave way to disappointment and division,” said Romney. He also shared his personal experiences so viewers could better relate to his character and perceive him as the candidate with the personality befitting a president. Similarly, Obama also attacked Romney’s character but focused more on revealing his plans for addressing our nation’s issues, conveying that the plans he offers to establish would take time to manifest profound changes in our society. Obama said, “I won’t pretend the path I’m offering is quick or easy. I never have. You didn’t elect me to tell you what you wanted to hear. You elected me to tell you the truth. And the truth is, it will take more than a few years for us to solve challenges that have built up over decades… I refuse to ask middle class families to give up their deductions for owning a home or raising their kids just to pay for another millionaire’s tax cut. I refuse to ask students to pay more for college; or kick children out of Head Start programs, or eliminate health insurance for millions of Americans who are poor, elderly, or disabled — all so those with the most can pay less.” As a “low information” voter, I would vote for Obama because he would support the education of my two kids, decrease the burden of taxes on lower income families, and provide adequate health insurence for most Americans.

Reply
  19. Angel Munoz

Angel Munoz
    Ms.Keeble
    Period 1

Watching both of these videos were very well and noticed how both speakers used the types of language. I honestly think and noticed how obama spoke detail to detail and also using logos. If you sat and watched obama, you’ll understand what he is trying to say as in what his thought is of this speach. Romney acted more sat back with his audience and spoke about Obama and how he never kept his word. Being a voter i think of how Obama mixed his words and actually convinced me on persuasive thoughts and being paid decent is more towards Obama than Romney. Romney attacked Obama, being a factory worker with two kids gets me towards Obama. I would vote for Obama thinking about my kids and also my retirement future and i see Obama with the more realistic words attacking his point making sure he hits all important ideas.

Reply
  20. Maria Martinez

Obama’s and Romney’s speeches were both very contradictory. They both use ethos and pathos to keep the audience not only entertained, but focused as well. Romney seemed to appeal to the audience by using pathos a lot. He always talked about his parents and family and how they all have unconditional love for eachother. “My mom and dad gave their kids the greates gift of all, the gift of unconditional love,” he says. It seems as if by talking about how his family revolves around love, and is the most important thing towards them, he tries to keep his audience alert of how caring he is towards others. Obama as well uses pathos, but he instead uses ethos and logos most of the times. He uses logos by explaining what his plans for the future are. He uses ethos by stating this, “You didnt elect me to tell you what you wanted to hear, you electe me to tell you the truth.” He is convinsing his audience that he is worth listening to because he is being honest unlike the republicans who are just stating the bad reputation that America has. Both Romney and Obama use ad hominem attack to contradict eachother. Romney by saying, “But his promises gave way to dissapointments.” and Obama by saying, “Our friends, down in Tampa, in the Republican convention were more than happy tot alk about everything they think is wrong with America, but they didnt have much to say about how they make a right.” They both attacked eachother’s character a lot. To me the one who will truly win my vote is Obama. He will win my vote because he has more logic in what he says. he is a really confidet speaker and when he speaks he seems to attract his audience really well by being simply honest. Yes, he might have used one or two contradictory phrases towards Romney, but he didnt do it so much like Romney. He does not need to show someone’s else week spot in order to succeed himself. By simply stating his goals and being so honest he wins the people’s vote.

Reply
  21. David.J

David jones

Mitt Romney and Barack Obama both appeal to ethos and pathos. I would vote for Barack Obama becasue he’s trying to help the poor unlike Mitt Romney. Barack Obama wants kids to try to make livings for their self. he doesnt want soldiers who servedin the army for our countryto come home and struggle to find a job for a country they just fought for. He wants the goverment to take care of the men and women who have sreved in the army. He’s trying to fix the debt that bush put the country in but he is trying to tell us that its so much money that it isnt going to be fixed fast its going to take a couple of years. He doesnt want their to be any poor he wants the country to be middle class and up. this is why i voted for Barack Obama and not Mitt Romney. The reasons why i wouldnt vote for Mitt Romney is that when he wastalking he didnt stay on topic. like when he talked he said things about his kids and not about what he would do for the country. he wants the poor to pay taxes and not the rich. The only good thing he said to me is that he wants women to have the same rights as men. I didnt vote for romney because has no reasons for me to vote for him.

Reply
  22. Areli S

Areli Sanchez
    Keeble
    Ap English
    Period 5
    23 September 2012

As a “low information” voter, I am stricken with the realization that I needed to choose which candidate I should choose in the upcoming election. As I listen to candidate Romney’s and Obamas speech, I am faced with pathos appeal. Both candidates use some form of emotion to appeal to the voter. As well humor is greatly present from both candidates, as a form to ease the feeling of the convention and add comfort to the speech. Romney’s speech is very appealing to me because Romney seems very family orientated, just as how I am, a mother of two children. I feel like I can connect to this man, because he refers to the American people and their struggle for a better future. His talking regarding the importance of the American people makes me prideful of being American. When Romney attacks Obama’s character ( ad hominem attack) , as a “low information” voter, I feel that I can trust Romney’s perspective because of the connection I feel that I developed towards him.
    Obamas speech appealed to me, but not grealty. Due to the fact that I watched the Romney speech before the Obama one, I was feeling a bit afraid of what he was planning to do, not because of his ideas but because Romney tried to percieve Obama as a unsucsseful candidate that will be bad to be again in office. I must admit that, Obama speech did make me confused about Romney’s speech, he did speak against them and he also spoke as what seems genuinly of what he actually plans to do and how much time it wil take to be done. But do to the fact that Obama’s plans are to be succesful in years to come, will not benefit my children at the moment for those promises will take time.
    I as a “low information voter”, mother of two children headed to college, night worker, will vote for Romney because he says that unlike the president he will ensure retirement plans and better the future for the children which are vital points that I am interested in. He also uses fear on the people, he says that with Obama in office the future will not be bright and that terrifies me. And because of his accusations and my incapability to further my research, I will ignorantly vote for Romney as president.

Reply